CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 4, 2008

Sports Day Painted Purple

(pictures towards the end of post)

I know. I'm super duper late on this one. School sports day was a month ago and first trial exams just ended last Friday. Now, I'm in the mood to blog, about SMKBL Sports Day.

Back in Form 1, I told myself that I wasn't gonna get myself too involved in school sports day anymore because the competition in secondary school is gonna be more challenging, less chances of winning, less fun.

I was wrong. So, so wrong.

Instead, I've been involved every year, since Form 1 until Form 5. I'm in the (Almighty) Amethyst House. We're purple :D I've been a loyal Amethystian and still am. Haha. In Form 1, I only participated in sprint events and relays. Then, I realised they were better girls in my category so in Form 2, I planned to pull out from the sprint events and only join the relay but i couldn't escape. They weren't enough athletes.

(in Form 1)
Me: Who's that? *points at Bong Yang*
Adele: Oh, that's our (afternoon session) captain. He's the 'fit' type ..

Haha.

In Form 2, Churchill and I were captain and vice-captain for the afternoon session. (Both of us were also heads of Rumah Merah back in Primary 6 and we won that year). Amethyst won in 2005 and I got my first gold, 4x100m. That was the best 4x100m relay team I've ever had. Haha.

2006 (Form 3). Yet another year of sports day and I just couldn't escape from it. If I didn't participate, I would feel as if I'm letting my team down. That year, I was put in the wrong events. I didn't register my name in those events at the beginning of the year and I sure didn't attend any of the practices. Javelin, shot put, discus. HUH?! On field, I was like one of the shortest or smallest in size. The others were like 'big' and taller than me. Strength and power events, whaddya think? I came in 2nd for shot put and discus, surprisingly. Before javelin, I had Marlene to teach me how to throw the javelin, briefly. It was really kind of her to do so. I know she was the defending champion so I didn't expect much from javelin. My first 2 attempts were called bad because I crossed the line but my 3rd was the winning one. I will forever remember the day I was the underdog and won the javelin event, beating the others who looked more likely to win. *all smiles* When I told my parents, they couldn't believe it. They still think I'm not one who has the 'size and power' to do such events.

Amethyst finished in the bottom half that year, I think.

I decided to join those 3 individual events after that, plus relays. Field events are really fun, believe me. They are less stressful unlike track events where you have to go on your mark and wait for the pistol. I hate the pistol. It's loud and scary. For field events, you can take your (sweet) time getting into position and you don't have to rush. You can chat with your friends while waiting for your turn and so on. Haha.

Form 4.
5 medals from 5 events. 3 individual and 2 relays. The best achievement so far in my 'secondary school sports day' life. I had a bad sunburn that year. My cheeks hurt so much so I went to the PBSM room and asked for ice. They gave me a plastic bag with a rather big piece of ice cos' they didnt't have cubes and told me not to rub my cheeks. My team finished 5th.

This year, Churchill and I were captain and vice-captain again, this time it's for real. We're the seniors now. So we had to kinda take charge at bigger scale than when we were in Form 2. Honestly speaking, I dreaded for sports day this year. Amethyst wasn't considered as a threat to other houses because we weren't able to retain ourselves at the top half after we were crowned champions in 2005. I myself didn't expect us to finish first but I was determined to improve our position and not finish last (and lets not in the years to come, shall we?). Before sports day, I asked a few teammates if they think we could win this year and they answered-not a chance.
Pessimistic you say? I was too.


Training only started in June after the school holidays and sports day was on July 3rd and 4th. As VC, I felt obligated to attend if not all, most of the training sessions. And I did. I had to sacrifice my 'nap time' every weekday to go for training. For Amethyst, I did. Haha. Churchill was busy with his drama practices in the whole month of June but he still made efforts to come for training. Thanks.

I must say, Zaty is the best secretary ever! Period! Haha. You have no idea what the both of us went through. A lot! It was a good experience though, I got to know her better after that. We walked from block to block, making announcements, skipped class (our Amethyst teacher signed permission letters for every day that we had to skip class). She even went all the way to an ex-Amethystian's house to get the 'Dinosaur' flag. That's what we call it. Haha.



My number this year. I had 258 one year.. (ji-go-pek) ngaiti.. Haha.

On the 3rd of July, we had a problem with the athletes' numbers. Some forgot to bring, some numbers were missing and my teacher had the wrong list (I left the correct list with him the day before and he said I didn't. I was so frustrated, he asked me to help with the numbers but I had to register for my javelin already so I was excused. Luckily I took my number the day before). My teacher had the list with numbers that I've arranged for every athlete a week earlier but we were actually suppose to use the ones that were rearranged by the school's sports committee. It was chaotic.

The first day ended with a heavy downpour. I was all ready for the 4x400m but they postponed it to the next day because it was raining so heavily and there was thunder and lightning. The results weren't for the first day weren't announced so all of us didn't know who's leading.

The most interesting event (I think) would be the 4x100m. The crowd would get all hyped up cheering and all that. I was counting on Girls B and C to do well in the relay and they didn't let me down. Girls A was... well, we finished 5th. Someone posted a video of Girls A 4x100m somewhere. It's titled 'Amber menang 4x100...' something like that. Haha.

During the closing ceremony (before the results were announced), a few of us were pretty confident that Amethyst might have a chance of winning after all. Oh how nervous I was standing down there. When we were announced champions for Girls B and C and Boys A, I knew something good was in store for us.

We started off humbly and with very little hope of winning but we emerged as Champions of 2008, beyond everyone's expectations. Now, that is something we can all look back at and be very proud of. I didn't win, WE did. We won, as a team (march-pass too. Yeah!). I would like to say thank you to everyone involved and I appreciate all your efforts. I love July the 4th 2008. (not USA's July the 4th. Lol)




Amethyst's very own 'Flying Dayak', Max.
-Photo courtesy of Lina



Zaty, Von, Fiona (Sportsgirl Category B), Steffi and Zandora.

Oh how I admire Fiona's spirit. She's a new student in BL, yet she has so much determination. She didn't care whether the colour of her medal was gold, silver or bronze, she just wanted to contribute as much as she could for her team, she wanted to get us more points and make us champions. She won gold in long jump, triple jump and high jump and a silver in 4x100m. Steffi may be small, but she's a hell of a sprinter. Don't under estimate. No, never under estimate.

I got 2nd place in javelin and shot put. My competition were Upper Six-ers what.. Haha.



Front row from L-R: Churchill, Aaron, Zaty, Nick (in white) and Jackson, our 'Jumper'. (peace sign, leaning on Nick)
-Photo courtesy of Lina


Before Jackson's high jump event.

Me: Good luck arh..
Jackson: Die lor... *gives me a hopeless-looking face*

He won gold. The guy in 2nd place was much taller than him. Don't be fooled by this innocent-looking guy, he's very good in long jump and triple jump too.



Group picture. Spot me.

I can only hope for the best for next year's batch. Sports day is more than just about winning, it has brought me closer to people, teachers and I also made new friends and learned new things. Sports day will be something I will truly miss once I finish secondary school. This year, my last year, has been a good and definitely a memorable one ('cos Tribe Purple won!).

xoxovon

Amethyst Annihilates!
I've never tried long jump and triple jump because I don't know how to and I'm afraid that I might sprain my ankle or something and never get to play badminton again. Haha. As for high jump, look at me. You think? Haha.

0 comments: